Sunday, April 13, 2008

We are adopting Windsor!

Well, what can I say.....sometimes a dog steals your heart. I am always amazed at the lessons animals offer us time and time again. Ex. I have always loved the look of a bk and tan German Shepherd. As a kid I collected images and adored their beauty. Our first gsd was gorgeous but had a soft ear. Not the "perfect" looking boy but he was perfect inside and out to us. I have (in the last 3 years) grown to love the boxer look and personality. The fawns in particular are absolutely gorgeous to me. Brindle coloring has never appealed much to me until NOW. Yep a blue brindle Pit Bull has stolen my heart. Just like the solid black kitten in a litter of tempting tuxedos kitties we fostered years ago. I never liked the bk cat look but....his personality was unique and perfect for our family just like Windsor is perfect for our family. I know that just as I have a total fondness for black cats, I will now have a special fondness for gorgeous blue brindle pups. Just another reminder that it is what's inside that counts and matters most not the breed label or the look of a dog. Having fostered over 70 some dogs over the years we are no strangers to falling for a foster dog. We have shed many tears and still allowed them to move on to other families but like our Bailey, Windsor is different and we believe he is family. :) Windsor has a long rehabilitation ahead of him to continue his progress and success in new experiences. As a dog behavior consultant I am so excited to learn right along with him. I am amazed at how he has adapted to life in our home and there is no question to me that he was meant to be with us. Here are some of the amazing things the boy does that we love. Trust me....not all fosters do these!
1. I put his bed down in any room and say "windsor..go to bed" and HE DOES!
2. He NEVER has had an accident indoors!
3. He has an amazing thumping tail that melts our hearts every time we look at him.
4. He thumps his tail for all of our other animals too when they enter the room!
5. He crates well and does great left in a room alone!
6. Most of all he loves, trusts and is eager to learn from us.
7. He sleeps beside our bed every night and does not move! He is on a long tether that allows him many options but he chooses right by the side.....if not in the bed. (rarely do I let fosters sleep in the bed) But....well.....it is Windsor!
8. He lies in my office snoring away while I work. While all 3 other dogs lay on the couches in the living room.
9. Oh, and he has never asked for kitty barbeque instead he leaves his food bowl when the cats approach him!
10. Did I mention he is a GREAT cuddler!
So, as you can see there is not much to dislike about our boy. He still has growing and learning and I am sooooo glad as I believe I have so much to learn with him. Every morning I wake up with a smile as I look over and my boy thumps his tail as if he has been watching me all night just waiting for my gaze. What an awesome awesome dog! I just adore him!


Don't worry, Duke (the shepherd in the middle) got a great treat after the video. Duke is not a fan of veggies but he sat so nicely while he waited for something. Duke is also a foster who is still waiting for a forever home. Windsor still has heartworm treatment and healing before he is fully recovered but we are so looking forward to him being able to run and play as any 4 yr old dog should. So much to look forward to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! This is great! He looks so in his element with his family. Congrads.

What a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Windsor! I don't know who is luckier, Windsor - for getting a new and wonderful family, or Windsor's family - for getting this wonderful and grateful boy!

Oh, and I think Windsor's mom is confusing eating all that broccoli with being a "health nut" and not seeing it as Windsor just being a plain old "piggy-boy." :-)
(Just kidding, we love you Windsor!)

I am so happy for all of you!
karen