Friday, March 7, 2008

A different perspective




This has been an emotional week for me. I have been confused at times and wondered if this boy would be adoptable and or if we needed to make a decission. I have found myself caught in the midst of many roles each hold different expectations and goals.
1. A rescue foster Mom.... the role of opening my home and allowing a safe place for dogs to learn about love, boundaries, and living in a home environment while physically healing.
2. A dog behavior consultant....evaluating behavior and temperment to assess adoptability in a home or suggesting non placement.
3. A Mom.....this is my most important role. Ensuring the safety of my children and educating them about over population and how we can make a difference in the lives of others. Fostering has brought our family many gifts. I am dedicated to educating my children and those around us about responsible companion ownership and care. Understanding that we do what we can but sometimes that can not be enough to allow a dog to be safe within the requirements of our society. Sometimes it is sad and unfair.
4. Compassionate person....here is where I blur roles 1 and 2. I see this dog who is begging for love, direction and contact. He has done nothing other then be a GREAT dog in our home. This boy has not be taught how to be "good." He just is good. He is himself. Windsor is a kind, sweet, loving, devoted dog. He is not an aggressive dog. He is a dog that has learned not to trust people approaching him while he is restricted. Is this his fault? Does this make him a bad dog? Should he be put down because his previous owner neglected him and never made him feel secure? Well, sometimes sadly yes is the answer. Can he learn through new positive experiences that new people are ok and are good.....well I believe quite possibly he can. This is where my final role comes into play.......
Adopter......If this boy does not recover from some of his previous experiences and I feel that he is not placeable then this is the role our family is willing to consider. Windsor is a dog, he is a great dog. He loves deeply and is willing to learn. He is dedicated to his family and is learning to trust and let go. He does come with some baggage and is not trusting of everyone new.....can you blame him? Do people recover from abuse overnight? I know we can not save them all.....I know this, but this boy is in my home and in our heart and we are dedicated to his recovery and success. He may be adoptable down the road but today.... he is safe, he is NEUTERED and he is loved! Please stay tuned as I continue to share the ups, downs and joys of our boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing wonderful work and Windsor looks so much healthier than the first pics. I sincerely hope he can overcome some of the aggressive behaviors you spoke of, and learn more appropriate responses to "life situations". At least he's being given a chance at a life, whereas before he didn't have any quality of life.

Anita H.

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family. What a journey for Windsor, his family and all of us who are partaking in his recovery.

Anonymous said...

I love reading these updates. It's so educational and heartwarming. He's looking so good...and sounds like he truly loves and appreciates his new family. Interesting how inherently "good" he is. We all have so much to learn... particularly from and about breeds we're taught to fear.